Thursday, October 4, 2012

Inanimate Objects


Have you ever played 20 questions with your friends? I have. It's one of my absolute favorite games. I don't think it will ever get old. Well, here is a question I was asked once.


What is your favorite inanimate object?

Having a favorite inanimate object is like choosing your favorite child. They’re all special in their own right, aren’t they? Though, my mind does go directly to three specific things: my wedding rings, my sewing machine (a gift from my brother Brandon) and a drawing my son, Landon, did of me as a gift for Mother’s Day when he was 4-years-old.

Here’s the set up. We were living in Australia at the time, and Landon’s school was celebrating Mum’s Day. ALL the mums were there, and we had all just watched a very cute short musical they put together about working together. Adorable. After the show the teachers announced the children had a surprise. Yay! They had made portraits of their mothers. One by one the children presented their portraits to their mums. All the mums had rainbow hair, long eyelashes, big heart shaped lips and rosy pink cheeks. And then… then Landon presented mine. It is possibly the ugliest picture a mother has ever been given, and it REALLY gives meaning to “a face that only a mother could love” because I do, I do LOVE it.

Take that other mums! You have eye lashes and rainbow hair? PPPpppppppp! I have WAR PAINT and SHARP TEETH! There is no question about this one, forget beating up the other mums- I would eat them alive!! 

But really, it is my absolute favorite thing. Ever. It’s never been hidden away either, it's always been proudly displayed in the kitchen or living room. Just a few months ago Landon (now 7-years-old) stopped in front of it and made a face while stating, “Mom, you DON’T really look like that…” It’s nice to know that this is not really how he sees me.

You know, it is very similar to paintings by William DeKooning. He had some major mother/women issues... I wonder if I should be worried...



19 questions left. Who's got one for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment