Friday, September 21, 2012

Happy 117th Birthday!

This week we celebrated Chiropractic's 117th Birthday! To celebrate I want to share my own recent expierence.

So much of my life is Chiropractic centered, my job (a Chiropractic Assistant), my husband Derek's job (Doctor of Chiropractic), the way we raise our son and live our lives (drug free, well adjusted) and pretty much all of my amazing friends here (being that I met most of them through work). Our boss, Dr. Franson (though, we all just call him Doc), does an incredible job managing our attitudes, and purpose, constantly finding new ways to motivate and inspire us. And even with the incredibly wonderful patients we have lately there have been days Chiropractic feels just like anyone else's job full of processes, systems, and protocols. This week felt that way in at the start, here's why...

Last week, I was awfully ill, downright out for the count. My body was truly going through something it had never experienced before. I spent most of Tuesday in bed followed by the rest of the week till Saturday. That was the day when I started to feel good enough to sit on the recliner with my computer. I was quick to tire and was often lightheaded with a constant headache. It's not like me to not bounce back quickly since I began Chiropractic care in 2008, so I was concerned, and so was Derek. The man hates when I have a cold, it pains him to see me feeling ill. Imagine his discontent.

I returned to work on Monday morning feeling lethargic, though better, I was not entirly present physically, mentally or emotionally. Completely exhausted. Later on Monday, Landon and I were scheduled for an adjustment.

I went into Doc's adjustatorium completely exhausted, headachy, in pain, short fused with Landon and with a heavy heart. While Doc adjusted Landon he and I chatted about my symptoms and what the last week at home was like (it's not like me to miss work due to illness anymore). I told him was I doing everything right: rest, fish oil, chlorophyll, iron, multi-vitamin, and my friend had even brought over some homemade soup. I honestly could not and cannot remember the last time I felt this way!! And this is how some of our patients walk in every day!! In pain!! Suffering!! It really was a God-Check for me. It was like He was putting it all in perspective for me, a nudge, if you will.

I sat down on the cervical chair and Doc scoped me, he said my upper cervical spine and atlas were on fire. That was my last 30 seconds of feeling like shit. Right there! Doc adjusted my atlas and instantly, I felt my power turn back on. I felt my life restored. I felt my smile come back. I felt ME come back. I felt, like, like, like I WANTED TO GO TO THE GYM!!! Instead, I went for my walk with Landon after my adjustment to help my body hold the adjustment.

As I walked it all came back to me, all the inspiration, all the heart of why we do what we do! All the reason! All the purpose and passion! Living the Chiropractic wellness lifestyle it is so easy to forget how so much of the world feels and functions. Our world is a sick world, being treated with Sick-Care, not Health-Care. We are only treating the symptoms and not the cause of the problem, and that is where we are failing! Chiropractic seeks to find the CAUSE of the problem. The disconnect in your nervous system,  which we all know is your master control system. That disconnect it called a subluxation, and if it goes undetected and uncorrected it causes degeneration and inflammation in your spine leading to all sorts of symptoms we are treating with a medication. Those medications, they don't treat anything, they mask your symptoms, your body signals. Your body signals are your body's way of screaming at you, "HEY! Something isn't functioning the way it's meant to!! Listen to me!!" And instead of listening we are shutting it up with a pill so we can continue on with the very life style that is killing us. Killing us with chronic inflammation, heart disease, diabetes, cancer, high cholesterol, depression, ADHD, and the list goes on... we all know the illness in our world today.

I felt it was appropriate that all of this happened on Chiropractic's 117th birthday. What an amazing profession. What an AMAZING profession! What an amazing, underestimated profession that has been around for years and years, decades and decades. And yet, many times sill it's disregarded. I've heard so many times people, including my own family members [so frustrating], say, "I don't believe in Chiropractic." It's not a belief, people. It's science. It's anatomy. One of our patients said yesterday, "It's all really common sense if you just stop and learn about it."

Please, do that.
Stop and learn.
...And maybe take a moment to say Happy Birthday to Chiropractic too.

When I say Happy Birthday Chiropractic, what I really mean is,




snoopythankyoubig.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment